Check out my new project, Practical Service Design!

Jive.com Website Redesign

My Roles and Involvement

Project Initiator/Owner, designer/developer, content strategist, traffic analyst

Key Collaborators

Inside Sales Manager, Multimedia Designer, Vertical Stakeholder Leads, Executive Committee

Jive.com come was in dire need of a total redesign and IA, and conversion rework. The company was experiencing huge revenue and hiring growth, and had no real insight to how the website was being used, no content strategy, and an unappealing visual design. Bounce rate was high and content was unfindable and confusingly arranged.

In addition, the site was completely non-responsive and performed very poorly on mobile devices, which wouldn’t do for a company that wanted to shift to a mobile centered business proposition.

Goal

The rework of Jive.com had 3 goals: create a mobile-first site that is completely optimized for mobile viewing while still being a stunning desktop presentation, make content readily findable for the target persona visitors, and increase recruiting traffic and appeal with a modern and contemporary presentation.

Project Challenges

The primary challenge of the complete redesign and rework of the site was the lack of reusable information architecture or content from the existing website. This was a mixed blessing in that we largely had a blank slate, but also left us with the reality that our first iteration of the initial finished redesign would be untested and not necessarily validated with large amounts of traffic.

jive-site-1

Old site home page

The secondary challenge was being able to serve our targeted company perosnas. I had already created a group of well researched personas for Jive, and there happened to be eight of them in the end. Building a website that was going to serve eight personas, which were distributed through five primary verticals, was going to be a challenge.

Finally, the biggest challenge of all was the crazy feat of rebuilding a corporate website and the deluge of stakeholders, opinions, arguments, politics, and other struggles a company redesign and essential rebranding takes.

Primary Problems

  • Existing IA of website was counterintuitive
  • Overall Design was severely outdated and unattractive
  • No focus on messaging or recruiting

jive-site-2

Old site vertical landing page

Solutions

Our main source of guidance was the persona research. This let us start on content and IA in a way that would make sense as people self-selected their paths through the website. We took the data and interview comments we had from the personas and built the hierarchy and organization of their vertical specific content in ways that made sense to each, which allowed us to avoid taking a panacea approach.

As we began to sift through content and create site maps, IA maps, and user flows, having eager company stakeholders available was a major positive factor. We could take what we knew about the perosnas and content, and validate it against the relevant internal stakeholders. This wasn’t to allow internal assumptions to dictate what we did, rather it acted as a source of rapid experimentation internally so we could get a reaction from those who actually dealt with the customers. This gave us the ability to cross reference the internal sentiment with the external. Our job as the web team, and my job as the UX overseer, was to deliver something that would enhance the customer experience and engagement, and not just deliver what was internally  most comfortable.

jive-site-6

Site map and page heirarchy

In addition to persona referencing and internal validation, we chose a random group of customers and potential customers to periodically validate ideas on the content and overall appeal of the website. We took the approach of seeing how people reacted and perceived the site, taking what they said and comparing it to what they did. For instance, we watched users navigate the site while they narrated, and compared their actual behavior to what they said. Often, they were in conflict, with the user saying something was easy to find after watching then have a hard time, or vice versa.

The final, most satisfying solution, was the bringing together of all the internal stakeholders and opinions, and getting something built with impressive efficiency and low friction. This isn’t so much a UX accomplishment as it is a team collaboration and “agile” (lowercase A) accomplishment. Trying to ship anything of value requires a high degree of teamwork and malleability, and by using super lean UX methods to rapidly iterate and experiment, consensus and decisions could be made on a much faster scale than if the site was developed in a silo.

Outcome

In the end, the new jive.com launched after around 3 months of development by 2 hands on designers/developers, myself and the multimedia designer. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, both internally and externally. It breathed new life into the company that we all had something to be proud of, and that matched the company vision of being a super modern, mobile first communications company.

jive-site-0

New homepage and branding message

As far as quantifiable outcomes go, the first month of the new site being live saw the following bumps:

  • Page Views up 35%
  • Pages per visit up 41%
  • Avg Time on Site up 61%
  • Bounce Rate down 13%

And that’s on the first iteration, no AB testing of live data yet, no new tweaking. Can’t wait to see what happens as the site continues to evolve.

jive-site-5

Subpage call to action sections

jive-site-4

Call to action

jive-site-3

Vertical specific landing page